Here are 10 truths about your employees that you should remind yourself of often. (It’s a list on my phone that I pull up daily)
- Nobody wakes up and says “I’m going to do my worst today.”
- They’re really trying.
- They will never think about your business as often as you think about your business.
- They’re intimidated by you.
- They’re tired. You’re tired.
- They share their ideas for your business with you because they care, not because they think you lack good ideas.
- They won’t meet expectations unless you’ve made your expectations clear and known.
- They’ll do as you do, not as you say, unless you do what you say.
- They don’t have your experience, so they don’t know what you know.
- They may admire and respect you. Usually when they’re led, not bossed.
Bonus One: Little Things are big things. What may seem little and trivial to you is a big deal to them.